Why does this issue happens?
This is a general issue for most of Joomla! users, just because Joomla! gets default max file size from the hosting panel. This issue relates to PHP file upload from hosting/server configuration, most of old hosting/server providers use 2MB as default value for this PHP max file upload. So, you can’t install any extensions or templates with file size larger than 2MB.
How to solve the upload limit of 2MB?
There are two ways to increase PHP file upload in your hosting, by php.ini config or via Joomla! panel.
Define this value via php.ini file
If your hosting support php.ini file from your system, increasing the max upload size is done in the following manner:
- Use FTP or File Manager from your hosting panel and go to your website source code
- Create a new php.ini file in the root of your website (if this file already exist, you just open it)
- Add the following code to your php.ini file
upload_max_filesize = 256M
post_max_size = 256M
So, you can check PHP Max filesize by go to Admin > System > System information, tab PHP information, search for upload_max_filesize. You can use PHP info function to show it, by create new file (such as info.php) and place PHP info code here.
Define upload limit via Joomla! system
Yes, this is recommend way, you can define PHP max filesize via Joomla! media upload config panel, by go to Admin > Content > Media, click to button “Options” at top right and find option “Maximum Size”, see my screenshot
So, Is this big issue?
No, this is a small and simple issue, but many people faced it from Joomla! 1.5.x to 3.9.x (latest now). We just updated a new template package for Joomla! templates, and file size is more than 2MB, that’s why I’m writing this guide for everyone. You can take a look for our Free Joomla templates collection, it’s responsive, mobile-first designed and SEO optimization templates. If you tried this solution but had no luck, feel free to leave your comments.
- [Joomla] How to add rel=”noopener noreferrer” to all external links - September 6, 2021
- Joomla 3.10 and Joomla 4.0 release, what’s going on with your Joomla websites? - August 25, 2021
- 5 Most Secure WordPress Themes - August 5, 2021