It's time to create new or re-design your websites to bring it to the next level.
Step by step how to install quickstart package using Akeeba kickstart?
As you have known, most of template providers use Akeeba Backup to back up template with sample data to make simple Quickstart file and Kickstart (restore) file with Akeeba Kickstarter. This blog to show you step by step how to install Quickstart package with Akeeba.With our template, we’re mentioning to LT Business as an example template in this case. You can download LT Business template for Joomla! 3.4 here. This Quickstart package includes Joomla! core, LT Business template, sample data. So, Joomla! install first is not required. Let start it!
In this tutorial, you will find detailed information on How to install quickstart on your cPanel hosting account or How to install quickstart on local host using XAMPP. The installation process is easy, just requires a few clicks. You won’t need any coding or design skills to install a fully-functional Akeeba kickstart within minutes.
Step 1: Download quickstart package (example: LT Business template)
Login to Customer Area, go to section Download, download full package and unzip it, you can see Quickstart package. After that, unzip Quickstart package and you will see the backup and Akeeba Kickstart included. We need to run file kickstart.php.
Step 2. Install quickstart package
Option 1. How to install quickstart on your cPanel hosting account
Step 1: Upload Quickstart File via File Manager
You can install Quickstart package on your hosting following these steps:
- Upload quickstart files via FTP: access your hosting cPanel, create FTP account and link to your website folder (normal it’s “public_html” folder). Once you connect, simply browse your local drive to upload from the Local Site window on the left. Drag the files to an appropriate folder in the Remote Site on the right, e.g. /var/www/html
- If your hosting support cPanel (such as Hostgator.com), you can go to cPanel > File Manager, go to your website folder and upload theme Quickstart files.
Step 2: Create a New database
Create new database for your website via Database Manager in Hosting controls. If you don’t know how to create database, just read hosting user guides or contact hosting support staff.
Step 3: Run Install Panel
Last, run install panel by access, just run file ‘kickstart.php’ by go to http://yourdomain.com/kickstart.php, next steps like Install on localhost.
Option 2: How to install quickstart on localhost using XAMPP
Installing quickstart package on localhost is straightforward but can be tricky the first time you attempt to do it. So for this step we’ve provided instructions on how to do it right from scratch.
Now, in order to run Quickstart package, you need not only a web server, but also 2 more things: PHP script interpreter and MySQL database system. It sounds complicated but thankfully there is a single package called XAMPP with all the elements included.
Let’s install XAMPP on your computer.
Step 1: Installing XAMPP
- Download and Install XAMPP Locally on PC/Windows
- Run the installation file as you do with regular software and follow the step-by-step instructions.
- Open “XAMPP Control Panel Application” and start “Apache” and “MySQL”.
That’s it, your localhost is now installed. You can check if it works or not by typing the address: “http://localhost” in your web browser. You should see a page as illustrated below.
Step 2: Create a database in phpMyAdmin.
From the XAMPP interface, click phpMyAdmin to start creating database.
Next, click Database in the toolbar as illustrated in the following
And enter the database name and then click “Create”
Now you are ready to install quickstart package.
Step 3: Create a new folder in older “htdocs” in the XAMPP folder.
– Create a new folder entitled “test-quickstart” in folder “Test” in folder “htdocs” in XAMPP folder. Normally it will be located at “C:\xampp\htdocs”.
– Unpack the downloaded package file into the folder “test-quickstart”.
– Go to the URL “http://localhost/Test/test-quickstart”.
Step 4: Unzip the file
After having downloaded Quickstart package, unzip in your hosting or folder in folder “htdocs” and you will see the backup and Akeeba Kickstart included. We need to run file kickstart.php.
* If you do not see file listing, don’t worry about that, just run file ‘kickstart.php’ by going to http://yourdomain.com/kickstart.php
Step 5: Agree with Akeeba Kickstart policy
… select .jpa (Akeeba backup file) and click ‘Start‘ to extra file
* Default extra method in kickstart tool use ‘Hybrid (use FTP only if needed)‘, but in some case if your hosting do not accept it, just use ‘Directly‘ method instead, you can select it via ‘Write to files‘.
Step 6: Start to extract file
In this step, we will see the screenshot like below. The Select a backup archive will be selected quickstart package by default. It’s backup file and we need to restore it. Another parameter, we should keep it as default, do not change. After everything’s okay, we click to button ‘Start‘ to start extracting backup file
Step 7: Run the installer is the next step when finish extract backup file in step 5.
Step 8: System pre-check
Now, we moved to install board. This is a step to pre-check the hosting configuration before process install. There some params as in Joomla! installation.
Step 9: Enter the information
This step helps you enter the information related to database type, username, database name and password.
P/S: “Allow UTF8MB4 auto-detection” unchecked . Check the “Force UTF-8 collation on database” and “Force UTF-8 collation on tables”
Step 10: Restore the database
Yes, after clicked button ‘Next’ in step 7, it will alert the pop-up box show details of process restore database. As the picture below, if you enter correct database information, it will be restored successful.
Step 11: Site info
This step requires you to enter Site Info and FTP Layer Option (this option should be kept as default, we can change it later). At this step, you need to define new username and password for administrator account. I recommend you enter new password.
The default administrator account with the username: admin and the password you want to use when login the admin Joomla Dashboard. ( Exp: password is abc123)
Step 12: Last step to remove the installation folder
Yes, this step is the last step to process install Quickstart, just click to button ‘Clean Up’ to clear up Kickstart files which included in backup by default. It will make your source clearly. Also with file backup ‘.jpa’.
Step 13: Ready to start!
Just click to button ‘View your site’s front-end’ and ‘view your site’s back-end’.
Step 14: Yeah, we finished!
After finishing last step, we will have the website like our demo site.
After installation finished, if your website return sample data but without CSS like the screenshot below
In this case, you just open file ‘configuration.php’ located at the root of your source code and search for
$live_site = “your_domain.xxx”;
and leave it blank like below
public $live_site =””;
Save and it will work.
1. Default login: http://yourwebsite/administrator
Password like you created at Step 11 (If you left it as blank, so default password is abc123 )
3. If you already put correct login username and password, but can’t login and your system do not appear any error message (normal when you put wrong login, Joomla login panel will show error with user or password), it means you have issue with cookie_domains, just open file ‘configuration.php’ and find “$cookie_domain” parameter, then leave it blank (null value), and recheck.
Yes, Akeeba Backup and Akeeba Kickstart are very useful software to backup and restore websites. It’s a simple and fast way that I recommend you should use when you want to bring your whole site to another place. In this case, it’s the best choice to create Quickstart for everyone. Quickstart package is a full demo package, it helps you easier to change the contain and launch your site faster. Thanks for support from http://akeebabackup.com
Are you Web Freelancer or Web Design Company? Join our Club and Access our Resource!